[Updated] Police detains more tax officials, businessmen for corruption
[Updated with yet another arrest of corruption suspect news - at the bottom]
Federal Police conducted another round of arrests later this week, it was learnt.
1. Dawit Ethiopia – Director of a Directorate responsible for assessment of tax law violation threats at the Ethiopian Revenues and Customs Authority (ERCA)
2. Mamo Abdi – Special Adviser on Tax matter to the Director General of ERCA (who himself is in custody as of last week)
3. Kone Mihretu – businessman
4. Fetum Gebre-medhin - businessman
5. Mamo Kiros - businessman
6. Abebelegne Tesfaye - businessman
The detainees are suspected of facilitating the passing of contraband items through Nazret Customs check-point without the payment of customs tariff. They are also suspected of causing charges against loan sharks to be dropped.
Police appeared in court on Friday seeking a fourteen day investigation period.
However, the Court re-scheduled the file for next Monday, as two of the six detainees were not in attendance.
It is not clear if the charges are related to the other officials of ERCA detained last week.
In another news, police apprehended a corruption suspect who was on run for days.
The suspect, Dawit Mekonene, was caught in Shashemene town, south-west of Addis Ababa on Saturday. He is believed to have been on his way to Kenya.
Dawit Mekonen works as a commission agent in Addis Ababa and Adama customs check-points.
Police gave no details of the case for which Dawit Mekonen is detained. Yet, it appears he is wanted in connection with the corruption cases of ERCA Director General Melaku Fenta and deputy Gebrewahid Woldegiorgis.
Check the Corruption Cases archive for related posts.